There is certainly not much sweet baking going on around these parts but there is a lot of bread making and savoury baking of sorts.
I decided to make some cheesy muffins for lunch today but I didn't have self raising flour, I only had plain flour. So I improvised and added baking powder to the mix. They didn't rise much but what resulted was the crunchiest MOFO of a cheese muffin I ever did see. I shared the resulting food porn on my Instagram (follow me: thisistaryn) and I had a few ladies asking for the recipe. After all that is what Instagram is for. Yes?
I made these with wheat flour so I couldn't actually eat them. To compensate, I smelt them instead and drooled on the floor. Sweet baby jeebus. Cheesy goodness. I gave them to the kids. They said they were "cheesy and tasty" and "very crunchy" but I needed an adult to sample the goods. I gave them to my husband when he got home and he said the same thing. Uncle Daryl came over and agreed he had just tasted a very crunchy muffin.
Most cheese muffins are bloody tasteless, floury and boring. These are not like those. They also came out of the muffin tin very easily. Take note of the hot oven.
My Super Crunchy Cheese and Ham muffins
Makes 24 normal sized muffins
- 180g shaved ham, chopped finely
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 3 tspns baking powder
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2/3 cup milk
- 4 tbs olive oil or melted butter
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tspn salt
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Place flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Mix.
- Place egg, shaved ham, cheddar cheese, olive oil, milk and parsley in a separate bowl. Mix until combined. Pour the ham and cheese mixture into the flour and fold lightly until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into a very well greased muffin pan. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden and super crunchy looking. Serve warm or at room temperature.
On the off chance that you have a Thermomix like me you could totally avoid chopping the ham and grating the cheese by buzzing and ham and cheese on speed 5 for about 4 seconds or until at a grated consistency. Proceed as above.